Monday, July 12, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

 
Ok. So many of you are probably wondering if I have lost it. Well, technically speaking, NO! I was first introduced to the idea of making my own laundry detergent by a good friend who was sharing with me some of the ways she saves money. I was immediately interested and began researching the idea. I found several different recipes for both liquid and powder detergents and decided to try one out.

 
My costs for ingredients were as follows:
  • Washing Soda - $2.85 (55 oz)
  • Borax - $2.98 (76 oz)
  • Ivory Bar Soap - $1.07 (three bars)
 
I made a small portion to begin with to see if I really liked the recipe. Here it is.

 
  • 2 cups soap (finely grated) - (about 1 1/2 bars)
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
 
Mix all ingredients well and store in an air tight container. Use 2 Tbl. per load (that's it!)

 
Using this recipe it costs me a little less than 4 cents a load to wash my laundry. Can you say "WOW"!
Looking at laundry detergent online (Arm and Hammer) it costs 28-30 cents per load. So I can safely say that I save about a quarter for every load of laundry I do. Now that adds up! Especially, with as much laundry as we go through.

 
As for the quality of the wash, I actually like it alot. You don't get that overloaded laundry scent as with store-bought laundry soap, but I do kind of like it better knowing that laundry soap is not still in my clean clothes.

 
I have since decided to try a few different scented soaps that others have used in their recipes. I have bought the soaps (Dr. Bronners), but haven't made a new batch with these soaps yet. I am excited to try them. The cost went up a little, but it still doesn't come close to the cost for store-bought laundry soap.

 
Anyway, I am a believer so far and wanted to share with you all as well. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment